Subject: TC Meeting Minutes 9 March 2004

Title: TC Meeting Minutes 9 March 2004
Minutes for OASIS Emergency Management TC Meeting 9 March 2004

Meeting Convened: 12:10 p.m. Eastern

Roll:
Gary Ham
Eliot Christian
Rex Brooks
Andre Hiotis
Eleanor Robinson
Konstantin Wilms

Old Business:

1. Generating and publishing material supporting CAP vote.

1a. Tom Merkle has this venue and information:
I have received permission from Robin Cover (OASIS) to use the CAP announcement on the web page in this month's CapWIN Connection newsletter that is due out soon. The newsletter is set out via list server and may also be viewed at <http://www.capwin.org>http://www.capwin.org. While most of the government users are aware of the CAP progress, the announcement CAP is moving into the production XML environment tool kit is welcome news. I will write additional articles concerning the use of CAP in the DHS, Justice, and Transportation communities as CAP is integrated into those environments. Justice is using the CAP in their Global Justice XML Data Dictionary (GJXDD), which is part of the Global Justice Data Model (GJXDM). The transportation community will be able to make use of the CAP through the IEEE 1512.2 Public Safety Incident Management Message Sets for Center to Center Messaging standard which utilizes the CAP through the GJXDD....

       1b. Rex Brooks has this venue and information from Christopher Lakey at Image Matters LLC, vouched for by Carl Reed:

ImageMatters produces a web site and monthly newsletter for Sun and ESRI on topics related to java and location services.  If you're interested, you could put together a set of articles for a featured newsletter.  I am not sure what the current subscription and traffic trends are, but it's mostly industry people.

Visit <http://www.jlocationservices.com/>http://www.jlocationservices.com/ for a look at the site and past newsletters. ...

      1c.  Gary Ham described a Congressional Demonstration being given Thursday, March 11, 2003 in the Foyer of the Rayburn Bldg., sponsored by ComCARE featuring a real time live web demonstration through DMIS of CAP Interoperability. It will include EIC member companies, MyStateUSA, Ship Analytics, DisasterHelp (disasterhelp.gov), E-Team, and more. He said he would write up a brief report on the event which we can use as part of our efforts to publicize CAP and who is implementing it.

   1d. Eliot Christian is writing an article on CAP for The United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction organization's newsletter "ISDR Informs,," http://www.unisdr.org Eliot indicated that we could reuse the article as part of the package we put together for

2. Reports from Subcommittees
  2a. Who now speaks for IF?
              Rick Carlton has resigned and Michael Wilson is now in Observer status.
        Gary Ham is overextended as is, and Rex Brooks is likewise, but both expressed
          interest in continuing the work which was summed up as "We need to describe
             what are the possible elements needed for a general purpose distribution wrapper."
              Gary suggested ebXML as an example.

     2b. GIS (related issue under public-comments for USNG-NAD8383 Common Operational Picture for EM/ES Through Location Interoperability message.)
          Eliot Christian indicated that this is more a question of giving an equivalent citation
        that will suit the needs for government uses that require this particular reference
             to the same geopatial datum.

        2c. Msg-Notification
            Rex Brooks said that not much had been done lately, but that he had surveyed the
                existing and proposed eventing models for WS-Eventing and ebXML Registry
                eventing and that we should study this further.

3. Registries?
   Eliot and Gary spoke about the appropriateness of LDAP for authentication/security purposes, but  that we do need to recommend the use of UDDI and ebXML registries for giving information for specific usages such as business rules, data dictionaries and service interfaces.

4. Post CAP Factsheet.
  Rex accepted the action item for getting it posted to the TC webpages, and Eliot indicated that he would post it as well.

New Business:

1. It was agreed by unanimous consent that we should develop a preliminary proposal for taking on the work of developing standards, such as a data dictionary, included without specifying responsibility for this work, in the "National Incident Management Systems-90" document

www.dhs.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/NIMS-90-web.pdf

issued by the Department of Homeland Security. Gary Ham, working with DMIS, and Eliot Christian of USGS agreed that this TC was a logical choice to take on this work, and we expect they with Tom Merkle of CapWIN to investigate further.

2. New Chair for IF?
Postponed.

3. Public-Comments Messages: From Archive:
    Art's response that we would take these up at the appropriate time was accepted as the consensus.

The threads that have been raised since the CAP specification was announced as seeking an OASIS approval vote:

Threads: Bad Examples in CAP Spec (UPPERCASE is bad human factors)
       How do you properly indicate "Nothing Interesting?"
     Unique Message Identifiers in CAP
       Who can issue CAP alerts?
       CAP and attribute-free encodings...
     Normative References in the CAP Specification
   What does a CAP date look like?

Fwd: RE: USNG-NAD83 - Implementing a Common Operational Picture for EM/ES Through Location Interoperability

Meeting adjourned: 1:00 p.m. Eastern

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com
Tel: 510-849-2309