Subject: Identity and Authority ( was RE: CAP Visualization...)

This is another deep and broad question... and one that's somewhat
more specific to the scope of CAP.

Traditionally, the term "warning" has been associated with certain
kinds of formal, usually governmental sources.  That's been
reinforced by the liability and image concerns of private, especially
corporate, sources.  However, there's really no reason why a CAP
message couldn't be generated by a sensor device or by an individual
who observes something (on the "hue and cry" model of street-corner
and hallway fire alarm boxes.)

The question then becomes, how much weight does one give to a
message... and particularly to an instruction... from a particular
source?  And should that weighting be the same for every recipient?

While it might be tempting to hard-wire those decisions into a system
policy on "authorization," such an authoritarian approach could cause
inflexibility and preclude  productive ad-hoc and "emergent"
processes.  Besides, by what authority could anyone be prohibited
from issuing a warning?  Might not that raise a First Amendment issue?

So maybe it would be more practical for clients to maintain some sort
of "trusted source" list, or (more elaborate) to subscribe to some
sort of source-credibility rating service.  Note the distinction
between a "trusted source" model and a subscription model... the
first listens to all sources but pays special attention to others,
the other listens only to pre-designated sources.

Again this assumes fairly bullet-proof authentication of the sender
and protections for message integrity... but assessing source quality
is another issue altogether.

- Art