Subject: Schema Test Results

Thanks Art,

Using the XSD file from the document, Here's the run-through:

1. Microsoft .NET DOM and Borland DOM fail on all <simpletype name=nnn>
fields. Since simpletype is nested within <element name=nnn> it inherits
the name and thus <simpletype name=nnn> should simply read <simpletype>
-- the name is already declared. So elements must be named, but nested
element simpletypes not (where the name is identical).

The .NET / Microsoft DOM parsers will validate the spec with the above
modification.

2. I have had some older DOM parsers still cough up blood (Borland XML
Mapper for C++Builder and friends is one). They can be repaired by
changing:

<simpleType>
<list itemType = "string"/>
</simpleType>

to:

<simpleType>
<restriction base = "string"/>
</simpleType>

One reason could be that these incorrectly parse the XPath absolutely
instead of relatively. Since there are simpletypes nested within
complextypes and complextype by w3c definition cannot contain a list
item, these fail.

Many parsers translate the list itemtype to a string, so this is still
valid if the user deals with the list of data in the space-delimited
format that list is defined as, post-DOM/Xpath/whatever-parsing.

These should be put into errata or such, since there are a lot of people
using these tools (both the .net and the older dom parsers simply
because production systems don't run on the latest and greatest parsers
available) and not using 'loose' DOM parsers.

These both probably need some discussion.

Cheers
Kon

Information contained in this email message is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and destroy the original message.