Subject: Re: [emergency] GJXDM vs EDXL Distribution isses

Hi Everyone,

On a personal note, the GJXDM practice is more like the way I
normally work, in that it appears to start from a model and then
builds the base or core set of functionality types and then puts
those into a hierarchy that allows for an Object-Oriented descent of
inheritance of properties from those core types. As with all things,
there are pros and cons to hierarchical v. flat or horitzonatlly
organized classes developed out of or into schemas. I think this
needs to have some careful thought, especially from the Justice side
of the picture since all it takes to invalidate a more or less
monolithic system is just a few critical exceptions, which require
the whole edifice to be reevaluated at the least and rebuilt at the
worst.

We are far enough along now with both DON and DOJ schools that it is
imperative that the overall guidelines for governmental practice in
the US needs to be harmonized, no matter what it takes, and it also
needs to be harmonized with the international community as well, or
else our standards work is going to create more problems than it
solves in pretty short order.

Do I have a solution? Nope, not yet. However, one thing that should
be brought up at that meeting Jan. 7 is developing a best practice to
sort out elements from the XSDs and identify when to use one over the
other for specific purposes and issue guidelines for using namespace
prefixes correctly so that none of the existing standards need be
invalidated at this point. Then we need to find a way to get the
standards-writers, like us, to agree on some basic core types,
exactly like what the Core Data Types Focus Group appears to be aimed
at doing--except that we in this TC need to take that out to the
larger international community, i.e. W3C and ISO and IEEE, etc.

I believe the impetus is there, and some liaisons are already in
place, but it aint gonna be easy.

Cheers!
Rex

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com