Subject: Re: [emergency] GJXDM vs EDXL Distribution isses

At 9:34 AM -0500 12/29/04, Ham, Gary A wrote:
>To be GJXDM compliant we would probably have to change the "eventType"
>to something more akin to "EmergencyEventTypeCode"...

I'm not sure whether "compliant" is the right criterion.  Our
functional goal is "compatible"... framing it in terms of compliance
transforms a technical issue into a political one.  I'm not sure
that's either necessary or wise.

Not necessary because we have the mechanism of namespaces to allow
domain-specific element design choices to be made "close to the
ground," nearer to functional concerns and farther from bureaucratic
ones.  It gives us a viable alternative to the
grand-unified-data-model-of-everything approach, which I'm afraid may
be self-defeating in its scope.

And not wise for several reasons:

1) Adopting a stance of "compliance" to one user group... in this
case, the justice community... necessarily distances us a bit from
others... fire, transportation, health, etc.  While I realize that
Justice is ascendant in post-9/11 America, we're part of an
international standards organization and those of us who've been at
this for awhile have seen these trends shift back and forth over the
decades.

2) There's a learning curve here.  As Gary points out, just because
the GJXDM was the earliest and largest doesn't mean it got everything
right.  We need to leave the door open for learning and improvement.
(After all, the US had the first color television standard in the
world... and as a result spent the next forty years looking at the
worst color tv pictures in the world.)

3) As mentioned above, the wider the scope of a data model, the more
technical and political inertia it accumulates.  Keeping a degree of
compartmentalization lends flexibility, so long as there's a
mechanism (e.g., namespaces) for preventing collisions.

Now I'm not arguing against adopting an ISO 11179-based naming
scheme.  I'm just suggesting that we ought to think carefully and
explicitly before slipping into an assumption that we're somehow
obliged to comply with some other group's scheme.

- Art
--
Art Botterell
Common Alerting Protocol Program Manager