Subject: RE: [emergency] CAP and Signatures/Encryption

I hope someone is simulating this system.    As I read through the byzantine numbers of
organizations, protocols, structures and policies that make up the NRP document, and
try to imagine assembling a just in time interoperating network of networks for C2 given
an ongoing INS, it makes the problems of 9/11 pale in comparison.

It is one thing to be transport-agnostic; it is quite another to have so many options at
so many layers that the system simply cannot be operational quickly enough to meet
the requirements.

Someone will have to pare this down before it has to operate in real time.

len

From: Carl Reed OGC [mailto:creed@opengeospatial.org]
Interesting discussion. I would like to add that are also a number of Internet standards (IETF) that deal with encryption and are used for encrypting messages, such as e-mail. This includes the work of the IETF S/MIME working group, specifically the S/MIME electronic mail security protocol that is widely implemented in commercial mail agents. If you want something a bit more low-level, I would also check out the work of the IPSEC group, specifically RFC 3686 - Using Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) Counter Mode With IPsec Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP). This standard incorporates the NIST standard that defines five modes of operation for AES and other FIPS approved block ciphers [MODES].
As Bob suggests, rather than the EM TC define a new method of encryption, I would opt for a statement of best practices for encrypting a CAP message using existing, well known industry standards.

Regards

Carl