Subject: Re: [emergency] W3 Releases Packaging Recommendations

Yes, the XOP core recommendation appears, by my reading, to start
with the assumption of infosets that include base-64 encoded elements
(such as <derefUri>) and provides a mechanism for transmitting the
binary data in its more concise, unencoded form by converting the
whole XML document into a multipart MIME package with the XML in one
section and the binary data in another.

It seems like this will be useful in those few one-way transport
contexts where the inclusion of <derefUri> data is appropriate... but
it doesn't strike me as any re-invention of <derefUri> or anything
that conflicts with the current CAP formulation.  It's just a more
efficient transmission scheme for a common kind of element of which
<derefUri> is an instance.

Anyway, it'll take some time for that to roll out into the
environment and it seems like we have more immediate concerns for CAP
1.1 than revisiting the <derefUri> debate.

Bob, in our coda to last week's call I thought I heard you suggest
there might be a clean way to provide for the incorporation of
external-namespaced elements within <resource> in the CAP 1.1 schema.
Have you had any luck developing a specific proposal for that?  I
imagine the TC will need to set some sort of cutoff date for new
issues for 1.1 in the near future.

- Art