Subject: Re: [emergency] Interoperability of CAP 1.0 and 1.1 Systems

> I discussed the implications of creating a new format for references
> with Tom Merkle this afternoon.  I already have to develop a significant
> program to convert CAP 1.1 Messages to CAP 1.0 Messages to demonstrate
> CBRNE interoperability for CWID.  The proposed changes are needed but
> who is going to develop a reference translator since all current systems
> DMIS and CapWIN only understand CAP 1.0 message formats.  Even though I
> think this is a CAP 2.0 and EDXL issues, interoperability between CAP
> 1.1 and 1.0 systems are really going to have challenging CONOPS.

It all depends on your implementation. 1.0 -> 1.1 took me about half an hour. However my
approach has been to abstract as much as possible incase people make changes to the spec
(I've also had to deal with 'broken' messages). I parse the CAP file with regex matches and
XPath, store it in internal data structures, and from that I can squirt it out to whatever format
I want by iterating the internal lists.

Cheers
Kon