Subject: Re:Proposal to extend the EDXL TargetArea to allow more flexible targeting/filtering/content routing

I like Kon's proposal - primarily because it has given more insight
into the
objectives of EDXL: "targeted message delivery". I also support Carl's
message about "use cases".

So, trying to put the to together, here are my (early) thoughts.

I think we need to model *all* possible targets of an EDXL message and
consistently
represent them and their behaviour. I have identified 3 classes of
targets:

1 - Geospatial
2 - People, services, devices
3 - Topics

1) Geospatial would include what we already have:
- circle
- polygon
- country, primary, secondary

Use Case: target all interested parties of "Yeronga":
  <country>
    <code>AU</code>
    <primary>QLD</primary>
    <seconday>4104</primary>
</country>

Behaviour: An EDXL-aware system will need to determine if the area(s)
indicated
are within the scope of its users.

2) People, services, devices would include *identifiable* entities.
That is any entity
(even intermediate entities) that can be clearly identified. These
include:
- recipients
- roles (redirection/expansion required)
- services (non-human targets)

(Note: all three would be defined as URI content, so it is debatable if
we could
just use one element)

Use Case: target Fred at Fire Authority:
   <recipient> urn:fire.au:operations:fred-j-smith </recipient>

Use Case: target the responsible party at the Premiers Department:
   <role> urn:au:qld:premier:incident-contact </role>

Use Case: target all media contacts:
   <role> urn:au:media:members:all </role>

Use Case: target the fire, police, ambulance alert systems:
   <service> http://fire.com/alertEndPoint </service>
   <service> http://police.com/alertEndPoint </service>
   <service> http://ambulance.com/alertEndPoint </service>

Behaviour: An EDXL-aware system will need to determine if the entities
indicated
are within the scope of its users and can be "contacted" or the service
can
be initiated.

3) Topics would include predetermined areas of interest and free text.
These include:
- keywords
- text (human process-able)

Use Case: target those interested in Sarin Gas leaks
   <keyword> urn:oasis:topics:hazchem:gas:sarin </keyword>

Use Case: target those interested in threat level changes
   <text> Due to X the threat level may increase... </text>

Behaviour: An EDXL-aware system will need to determine if the topics
indicated
are within the scope of its users (ie some registration of interest has
been predetermined)
or some human-guided targeting is required.

Thoughts and constructive criticism welcome ;-)

[Note: <xml> code and example values are only indicative]

Cheers...

Dr Renato Iannella
Project Leader, NICTA, Brisbane, QLD, AUSTRALIA
P: +61 7 3000 0484 F: +61 7 3000 0480 M: +61 4 1313 2206
E: renato@nicta.com.au W: http://nicta.com.au

This email and any attachments may be confidential. They may contain legally
privileged information or copyright material. You should not read, copy,
use or disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an intended
recipient, please contact us at once by return email and then delete both
messages. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus,
data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised
amendment. This notice should not be removed.