Subject: Re: [emergency] Proposal to extend the EDXL TargetArea to allow more flexible targeting/filtering/content routing

On May 31, 2005, at 5/31/05 8:43 PM, Renato Iannella wrote:
> Then the definition goes onto say:
>
> "Examples of things <keyword> might be used to describe include
> event type, event etiology, incident ID and response type"
>
> Which seems much broader.

Particularly if we don't focus on the role of such values in content-
based routing systems.  As you can see from the initial prototype and
requirements, the <keyword> mechanism is a generalization of the
original collection of itemized lists covering each of those
particular topics.

Since such taxonomies might come from various standards projects that
are in various stages of maturity, and since we weren't confident we
could enumerate all the topics that might be useful in the future,
the TC abstracted them into the more flexible <keyword> structure.

> It maybe more clearer if we adopt a more structured definition
> standard, such as ISO11179

Quite possibly.  It would be great if someone were to step forward
and take a stab at converting the current data dictionary into such a
format.

Also, it seems like some confusion has resulted from our intermittent
use of the term "target," which may have fostered the misimpression
that there's information in the DE that ISN'T related to message
"targeting" in one way or another.  So maybe we could advance both
clarity and conciseness by simply dropping that particular word.

- Art