Subject: Re: [emergency] Distribution Message V Message Content

Renato -

To my ear, a "notification" is separate from the event or item
referenced, which isn't quite what's happening here.  (A CAP message
would be an example of a notification in that sense.)

However, this is the ongoing discussion... should the Distribution
Whatever be a single message that can have multiple components, or is
it a collection of separate messages?

I think our current nomenclature evolved from the view that the DE/DW
was the "message" and the included items were "elements" within that
message.  My personal view is that we set out / were asked to specify
a messaging format... and while various processing systems might
slice-and-dice the message contents in various ways, that's a
separate process.

Alas, we've seen a pattern lately where folks extend one of our
products way beyond its original scope, and then blame our work when
it doesn't work.  (One suspects some of them may be looking for
opportunities to discredit the standards-based approach.)

So I'd urge us to err on the side of simplicity here.

- Art