Subject: RE: [emergency] Circle and Polygon

What do we do with 3D maps?  What do we do with SVG?

I agree that geometry should be independent of other
entities, but GML is by no means a dominant industry
standard for mapping.  ESRI is.

len

From: Carl Reed OGC [mailto:creed@opengeospatial.org]

I would encourage us to look toward compatibility with the OGC GML standard.

Not that I have a bias :-) But, having recently dug around a bit, GML
geometry constructs for point, circle, and polygon are also used in a
variety of other standards, such as the Mobile Location Platform API,
PIDF-LO, and TransducerML (sensor alerts). The reason I mention this is that

it is quite conceivable that an alert message that will eventually get
encapsulated into EDXL (or CAP!) will come from an environment that  uses
one of these other standards. FYI, MLP is the Gateway protocol that many
carriers use as part of their location positioning infrastructure.
Harmonization across standards of how geometry is expressed greatly eases
implementation pain.

That said, I would like to have the GML gurus in the OGC take a look at the
circle/polygon constructs in EDXL and provide feedback. I can have this done

as part of our Technical Committee F2F next week.

Regards

Carl