Subject: Re: [emergency] Circle and Polygon

On Jun 9, 2005, at 7:57 PM, Renato Iannella wrote:
> Again, my GML expert friend says that a polygon would look like:
>
> <gml:Polygon>
>    <gml:exterior>
>        <gml:LinearRing>
>            <gml:pos>12 4</gml:pos> <gml:pos>12 8</gml:pos> ...
>        </gml:LinearRing>
>    </gml:exterior>
> </gml:Polygon>

Hmmm.  I think one of the keys to the early update of CAP has been
that simple concepts are represented in simple ways.

Other folks may feel differently, but I'm not certain the EDXL
routing application really needs the full functionality provided by
this much bulkier representation.  E.g., in the past we've handled
included polygons... which much more often involve different
information or instructions than mere exclusion... by overriding them
with other blocks referencing other simple polygons.

So it sounds like the TC may need to revisit the question of whether
we want to follow the GML standards in full, or some other precident,
or stick to a simplified model.

- Art