Subject: RE: [emergency] Circle and Polygon

Variations tend to be more complicated given
an overall system than local complexity in
an element type.  Given a choice of having
YetAnotherGeometry for the data (presentation
being unavoidably variant), I'd choose to
use the GML.

This is an information ecology choice.  Which
part of the overall set of system applications
do you most want to be aligned with?  This
cascades up all the way to the personnel implementing
the system and the code libraries they have to
work from.   If emergency management systems
and GIS systems are to be closely aligned, you
want to stick to the GML by namespace.  Look
at the point-to-point interchanges and ask
yourself which systems are communicating at
what rate.  That will tell you where the hot
zones are, therefore, what is consuming the
most resources in all dimensions of the systems.

Granted, providing a separate namespace context
creates massively verbose files and orthogonal
semantics, but naming conventions are worse.
GJXDM is a good example of naming conventions
become deranged.  It takes an awful amount of
work to find the integer at the bottom of the
well.  Assuming maximum independence of local
data ignores the realities of interoperating
systems.

len