Subject: RE: [emergency] EDXL/CAP Survey

It seems premature to be sending out use surveys for EDXL and CAP (1.1),
since it is still in draft form and subject to changes. Actions like
sending surveys at this point of time have a rather negative impact on
our targeted user base.
I strongly urge restraint until both CAP 1.1 and EDXL have been fully
vetted and published by OASIS.

Tom Merkle

CapWIN:        www.capwin.org
Phone:        (301) 614-3720
Cell Phone:   (240) 375-1966
Fax:          (301) 614-0581
e-mail:        tmerkle@capwin.org

CapWIN
6305 Ivy Lane Suite 300
Capital Office Park
Greenbelt, MD 20770

-----Original Message-----
From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) [mailto:len.bullard@intergraph.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 9:39 AM
To: Emergency_Mgt_TC
Subject: [emergency] EDXL/CAP Survey

Something to chew on.   This week I received
a COMCARE survey for information on EDXL/CAP implementations, customers,
populations served, etc.
I have to reply that as of this time, we have no information about that
to be released.

As mentioned previously, public safety is an
RFP-driven business.   Requirements that don't
show up in at least three separate RFPs aren't likely to be implemented
soon if ever.  How is this group and its supporters in government
working to see to it that these specifications and standards are
introduced commercially to the public safety industry through
procurement processes?

Are there papers that explicitly illustrate where these standards fit
into the product mix that an agency would be acquiring when purchasing
say Dispatch, police, fire and EMT records systems?

Who declares a situation that would result in an EDXL/CAP message being
broadcast?  Who receives it and under what jurisdiction?

We've discussed some of these topics briefly in the past, but I think
that before we will see these standards in more than one or two very
large procurements, the procurement officials need help with the
requirements language.  I see mentions of GJXDM but little of EDXL/CAP.

len