Subject: RE: [emergency] EDXL/CAP Survey

Because that's what fish like and there are only so many loaves.
Sort out the worms and feed the people. :-)

I agree on how vendors see this.  We see RFPs.  Everything starts
there, or at least that was the pre Sept 11 world.  Now we all
realize that interoperability is not a nice to have but a got to
have.  We get that down to our socks, but the first order of
business is to respond with proposals.  The language spoken
here must be reflected there or nothing will happen.  The
NIEM component mapping process appears to me to be a great
sieve and means to converge the parallel efforts.  What comes
out of that should be citable.  *Easy citations to crystal
clear requirements makes it possible to check mark.  That
is exactly the way this should work because then we can
reply with a) product price or b) development price or
c) implementation price.  The RFP world of public safety
is a fixed price world: do it for the quoted $ or lose money.
That makes the bids very competitive and the pricing pressures
intense.

If it helps, we do get inquiries from agencies about this
work.  We know we must implement on-the-wire GJXDM regional
systems.  CAD-to-CAD we can do now if the APCO specs are
followed.  There are court system vendors such as New Dawn
that have court systems based on GJXDM.  EDXL isn't finished,
but that solves another piece of the puzzle.  The NIEM
component maps and the IEPs get down to the nitty gritty
of inter/intra justice system communications.

So it is a scheduling and resource issue.  We are creating
product plans based on the perceptions of which standards
are important, the order of implementation, and the customer
change requests.  Even if not very exciting, I want to bring
a procurement flavor to the discussion to increase the chances
of getting systems to the street sooner.  A procurement
story gets into the hands of the Gartner-like groups and
then the RFPs.  From that point forward, just like igniting
a solid rocket, the beastie is certain to move.

If I had my way, Intergraph would blog just like Microsoft
and Sun, and we would have a real time conversation going
with the customers and their customers.  Then representation
here would be much more efficient.  Blogging is something
I encourage here, there and everywhere.

len