Subject: RE: [emergency] Re: Circle and Polygon

My biggest problem is that I don't know all the uses for the information
in this spec.

Most all major GIS can handle coordinate/reference system
transformations so making the reference system id mandatory works for
them. (having said that - even if you can handle hundreds - you'll
always get one that you've never seen before) But I thought the major
users of CAP would be simple systems/devices which may not have that
capability?

Dave

David M. Danko
GIS Standards
Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc.
8620 Westwood Center Drive
Vienna, VA 22182-2214
USA
E-mail: ddanko@esri.com
Tel: 703-506-9515 x 8011
Mobile: 703-989-1863
Fax: 703-506 9514

-----Original Message-----
From: Renato Iannella [mailto:renato@nicta.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 10:11 PM
To: Emergency_Mgt_TC TC

On 17 Jun 2005, at 00:35, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> 1.  With the reference element, the software has a  standard way to
> notice different systems.
> 2.  Without the reference element, the different  systems can't
> interoperate.

I strongly agree with Len. Perhaps a good compromise is to add explicit
(attribute)
information that indicates the spatial reference system used by the
element, and that it is the external edge?

Eg <polygonExt srsName="urn:ogc:def:crs:OGC:1.3:CRS84"> 22, -22 ....
</polygonExt>

In our case, we can state that the attribute is mandatory and fixed.

Cheers...  Renato Iannella
Project Leader, NICTA, Brisbane, QLD, AUSTRALIA
P: +61 7 3000 0484 F: +61 7 3000 0480 M: +61 4 1313 2206
E: renato@nicta.com.au W: http://nicta.com.au

This email and any attachments may be confidential. They may contain
legally
privileged information or copyright material. You should not read, copy,
use or disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an intended
recipient, please contact us at once by return email and then delete
both
messages. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus,
data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or
unauthorised
amendment. This notice should not be removed.