Subject: PROCESS for the Future (was Re: [emergency] EDXL_DE - Notes from the meeting...)

Just a thought on process...

We seem to be working on the DE along two not-always-exactly-parallel
tracks: the Data Dictionary / Object Model track and the Schema
track.  In the future might things be clearer if we were to develop
one document at a time and then use it as the basis for the next?
Even if that meant we had to iterate based on experience downstream,
at least we'd be doing a series of distinct, well-documented iterations.

The sequence we used for CAP moved from the broadest to the most
specific: 1) requirements and use cases, 2) data model, 3) data
dictionary (human readable and discussable), and finally, 4) schema.
Each document was a more detailed expression of the previous one, and
by the time we got to the schema, the design questions had been
resolved and it was basically just a coding task (which as we've seen
can be challenging enough.)

Doing it the other way around might be possible as well, I suppose.
But regardless of what sequence we choose, I'd like to suggest that a
"sequential/spiral" process might be more manageable and possibly a
bit less confusing than what could turn into a "massively parallel"
undertaking as the EDXL family of projects grows.

Just a thought...

- Art