Subject: MPEG (was Re: [emergency] usage scenarios)

While it's probably true that jumbo payloads can break some transport
or receipt systems, that's equally true for PowerPoint (ask the
Navy!) or any number of other formats.  I don't think we should build
implementation-based limits into the spec that could hobble future,
more capable implementations.

We could, of course, add a note reminding implementers that embedding
excessively large content objects can have negative and even fatal
effects on networks and recipients' systems.  Beyond that, I think
experience will remind folks of the practical limits of their current
technology if they lose track of them.

(Also, I don't think the issue here is MPEG, per se... obviously the
size of a particular MPEG clip relates its duration, resolution,
frame rate, image motion and other factors, and some clips might be
relatively small.  The concern would be the same for large binaries
of any type... and we can only speculate as to what the tolerable
file size might be in any particular environment and at any point in
time.)

As for supporting multiple access methods, I think the current
version of the spec provides that capability... using the "absolute
for network, relative for local" approach in <uri>.  But, for the
record, I'll add both that and the content size concern to the Issues
List.

- Art