Subject: Re: [emergency] nonXMLContent

Renato -

Your email question WRT nonXMLContent got me thinking about how an EDXL
payload could easily be extended to include external non EDXL vocabularies,
such as a GML payload. As EDXL is really a type of web feed for the
emergencu community, I immediately thought of Atom. Atom is now an Internet
standard. There are a lot of interesting lessons/approaches in Atom that
could be useful for EDXL. The actual Atom doc is called
draft-ietf-atompub-format-11 - The Atom Syndication Format. Below my
signature is the section from the document on extendnig Atom.  This is very
similar to the approach suggested by Gary Ham - what he termed additional
content messages.

Here is an example of GML lite :-) as part of an Atom feed. AS with CAP, the
default CRS is WGS 84.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  <feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";
      xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml";
      xmlns:georss="http://www.georss.org/ns/1.0>
   <title>Earthquakes</title>
   <subtitle>International earthquake observation labs</subtitle>
   <link href="http://example.org/"/>
   <updated>2005-12-13T18:30:02Z</updated>
   <author>
      <name>Dr. Thaddeus Remor</name>
      <email>tremor@quakelab.edu</email>
   </author>
   <id>urn:uuid:60a76c80-d399-11d9-b93C-0003939e0af6</id>
   <entry>
      <title>M 3.2, Mona Passage</title>
      <link href="http://example.org/2005/09/09/atom01"/>
      <id>urn:uuid:1225c695-cfb8-4ebb-aaaa-80da344efa6a</id>
      <updated>2005-08-17T07:02:32Z</updated>
      <summary>We just had a big one.</summary>
      <georss:geography>
         <gml:Point>
            <gml:pos>45.256 -110.45</gml:pos>
         </gml:Point>
      </georss:geography>
   </entry>
</feed>

Cheers

Carl

6.  Extending Atom

6.1  Extensions From Non-Atom Vocabularies

   This specification describes Atom's XML markup vocabulary.  Markup
   from other vocabularies ("foreign markup") can be used in an Atom
   Document.  Note that the atom:content element is designed to support
   the inclusion of arbitrary foreign markup.

6.2  Extensions To the Atom Vocabulary

   The Atom namespace is reserved for future forwards-compatible
   revisions of Atom.  Future versions of this specification could add
   new elements and attributes to the Atom markup vocabulary.  Software
   written to conform to this version of the specification will not be
   able to process such markup correctly and, in fact, will not be able
   to distinguish it from markup error.  For the purposes of this
   discussion, unrecognized markup from the Atom vocabulary will be
   considered "foreign markup".

6.3  Processing Foreign Markup

   Atom Processors which encounter foreign markup in a location that is
   legal according to this specification MUST NOT stop processing or
   signal an error.  It might be the case that the Atom Processor is
   able to process the foreign markup correctly and does so.  Otherwise,
   such markup is termed "unknown foreign markup".

   When unknown foreign markup is encountered as a child of atom:entry,
   atom:feed, or a Person construct, Atom Processors MAY bypass the
   markup and any textual content and MUST NOT change their behavior as
   a result of the markup's presence.

   When unknown foreign markup is encountered in a Text Construct or
   atom:content element, software SHOULD ignore the markup and process
   any text content of foreign elements as though the surrounding markup
   were not present.

6.4  Extension Elements

   Atom allows foreign markup anywhere in an Atom document, except where
   it is explicitly forbidden.  Child elements of atom:entry, atom:feed,
   atom:source, and Person constructs are considered Metadata elements,
   and are described below.  Child elements of Person constructs are
   considered to apply to the construct.  The role of other foreign
   markup is undefined by this specification.