Subject: Atom index for California CAP feed (was Re: [emergency] nonXMLContent)

Carl and All -

Interesting this should come up... and heading in a slightly
different direction, thus the explicit thread-fork.  Attached is a
working draft on how the next-generation California Emergency Digital
Information Service (www.edis.ca.gov) may use Atom to index its CAP
1.1 feed.

Whereas EDXL is chiefly a wrapper for directed "push" routing of
items and sets of content, the RSS/Atom style of "feed" offers a
lightweight mechanism for one-to-very-many "broadcast" dissemination
over the Net.  It's a convenient way to aggregate the state of a
system and disclose it to the public (or some other relatively large
and possibly ad-hoc audience.)

As for the Atom/RSS holy wars... either format would work.  My mild
preference for Atom in this application sprang from, a) its use of
XML-style dateTime formats, and, b) what seems like a bit less of  a
bias toward necessarily human-readable content.  (Then again, I'm not
wild about the HTML-style <link> construct in Atom, which seems a bit
out of step with the rest of the design.  But that's not a debate we
need to get into here.)

You'll note several extensions from a couple of namespaces.  The
<format> element is a particularly useful, IMHO, by being explicit
about pointing to a variety of XML document types (including even
other Atom feeds, which creates some nice recursion opportunities.)
Although there may be another way to accomplish that end, and I'm
certainly open to helpful suggestions.

Not sure this is something we need to try to standards-track this at
this point... it might be better to just Cookbook it for now and see
if experience has any lessons to teach us... but I did want to get
the eyes of the TC on it as early as possible.

Thanks!

- Art

CAPAtom.doc