Subject: RE: 1-19-06 GIS SC Meeting notes

The GIS SC (finally) met again on 1-19-06 to discuss the actions to the GIS SC from the EDXL discussions earlier in the week. Dave Danko, Patti Aymond, Tom Merkle and Carl Reed were in attendance.

We discussed CIRCLE. Agreed that KILOMETERS is OK. However, we also discussed the possibility that an optional element be added that allows the expression of the accuracy of the radius. (Not precision, but accuracy). Many sensor systems and most cellular location processes do provide accuracy statement. Also, the IETF as part of the internet infrastructure (DHCP) will be providing accuracy statements WRT location payloads. We believe further discussion on this topic is warranted.

We discussed POLYGON. Agreement that we want to keep the expression as simple as possible. However, we agreed that more study is required before making final recommendations on polygon. That said, we did have a good discussion on how to deal with interior rings (correct ISO terminology), also known as holes or islands. We believe that there should be an optional element that allows expression of interior rings. This could be done by a flag that specifies inclusion (element is an island of a polygon). Type could be a Boolean.

Respectfully submitted.

Carl Reed, PhD
CTO and Executive Director Specification Program
OGC

The OGC: Helping the World to Communicate Geographically

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender  immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning." -- Albert Einstein