Subject: EDXL Reference Information Model

Hi Everyone,

In the aftermath of being 15 min late for the EM-MSG SC meeting, I
was joined by Renato and we had a short discussion. I sounded him out
about an observation that jumped out at me during last week's
Semantic Interoperability for E-Government Conference. I think one of
the largely unnoticed problems that cropped up during the EDXL_DE
process, beyond our attempts to do data dictionary, DOM and Schema
simultaneously in parallel, is that at some points we were confusing
or conflating a Reference Information Model (RIM) with a Document
Object Model. What we were doing was a DOM-based specification, as is
EDXL_RM, but the overall EDXL effort needs to have a RIM, IMHO.

I think that an EDXL RIM needs to be a TC-wide development process
since it will impact all SCs, and be foundation for the ongoing tasks
of building component specs within it.

So I wanted to start this thread on the TC-list, and I would like to
see what folks think about it. Along with the Requirements Template,
a RIM would be helpful in giving us a more or less standard starting
point.

Regards, and my apologies to those I inadvertently stood up,