Subject: RE: [emergency] EDXL Reference Information Model

Agreed, and thanks, Gary,

While I suggested it, I certainly don't want to interrupt our work on
the practical specs.

I just want to be able to say, on occasion, "Hey, I think this (or
that) is a candidate for the RIM, which we can just keep in the
background as a more or less permanent work in progress until such
time as we think we have learned enough to sum up a v1.0.

HL7 v2.0 was a decent messaging spec. However, in their attempt to
widen it out to cover everything, while building a RIM from which to
do that at the same time, got them wrapped around several axles so
that they lost a lot of consistency, logic and common sense. I
suspect they ran smack into the same problems with parallel
development of interrelated aspects of the overall project that we
did. The result is something that will have to be retrofitted to make
sense or else be sacrificed and started over from 2.0 at the last
point where their work made good sense.

I just want to make sure we understand the big difference between a
DOM and a RIM, and most of our practical bottom-up work is DOM, and I
think we do ourselves a big service by starting from the data
dictionary, then doing the DOM. Also I think a RIM is a TC-level
task, not an SC-level task.

Ciao,
Rex