Subject: FW: [emergency-comment] Public Comment

EM TC (and Maurits)

Some comments on the comments below about using GML:

1. If we want to use GML, keep it OPTIONAL AND IN-ADDITION to the way it
is now, mandating a few simple geometries and WGS 84

2. True, Australia uses GDA 94, North America uses NAD 83; but in an
international specification it is best to use a global model especially
for what EDXL is designed for. To quote an Australian publication:

"Given that the ITRF and WGS84 reference frames are also
very closely aligned, for most practical purposes GDA94
and WGS84 coordinates can be considered the same"

3. When you use a GPS receiver the coordinates are displayed in WGS 84
(even in Australia)

4. EDXL will be used in clients that CAN NOT handle coordinate
transformations. So the coordinate reference system should be known
ahead of time - identifying it in the EDXL is the best way to do this.

Using GML/user identified coordinate reference systems will be fine for
users needing to additionally identify target areas down to the
centimeter and correcting for tectonic plate continental drift.

Dave

David M. Danko
GIS Standards
Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc.
8620 Westwood Center Drive
Vienna, VA 22182-2214
USA
E-mail: ddanko@esri.com