Subject: Re: [emergency] EDXL-DE routing and valueListUrn

On 21 Mar 2006, at 16:51, Ron Lake wrote:

> As is always the case with URN's - there must be something that
> resolves
> the URN to a definition or whatever is the resource to which the
> URN is
> bound.

Hi Ron. This is not always the case.

For example, the OASIS URN namespace [1] does not necessarily machine-
resolve to anything:

=====
   Process of identifier resolution:

       The owner will distribute catalogs (OASIS TR9401 Catalogs) that
       map the assigned URNs to resource identifiers (e.g., URLs).  A
       more interactive, online resolution system will also be deployed
       in the near future.

       The owner will authorize additional resolution services as
       appropriate.
=====

> Even being unique does not help if they don't resolve to an actual
> resource.

For vocab terms, being unique is the key requirement.

Cheers...  Renato Iannella
National ICT Australia (NICTA)

[1] <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3121.txt>

This email and any attachments may be confidential. They may contain legally
privileged information or copyright material. You should not read, copy,
use or disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an intended
recipient, please contact us at once by return email and then delete both
messages. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus,
data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised
amendment. This notice should not be removed.