Subject: Re: [emergency] Poster for NAWS Participation

Seems like we ought to take care here to distinguish between apples
and oranges, and between fruit and a fruit truck.

CAP offers a "Platonic ideal" of a warning message, independent of
any particular delivery framework, and based on social science
research into the effectiveness of public warnings, not on any
particular technology.  Its purpose is to provide an interoperability
layer that can bridge the vast patchwork of more transport-specific
encoding schemes being used in public warning, including free text,
SAME, geo-RSS, recorded audio, Braille, etc., etc.  It's been adapted
in some cases to contain non-public information, which might be a
tribute to the robustness of its design, but may also have caused
confusion in some circles.

EDXL, on the other hand, has no inherent content at all, at least so
far.  The DE is only an envelope for some other XML content, which
might be CAP or might be some other document structure drawn from
some entirely different problem domain, such as the proposed RM.  So
it's not precisely accurate to speak of "either CAP or EDXL"... the
two aren't alternatives, they're on entirely different layers of the
network stack.

Likewise, any binding between the EDXL-DE and a particular transport
environment involves all the discovery, routing, queuing,
reliability, and other network issues of the layers below.  Some of
the requirements for that particular stack may be the same for
sensors and other operational messaging as they are for public
warning, but some may be different.  That's why I asked the question
of how broadly or narrowly Dave meant the words "alert and warning"
on his poster.

- Art