Subject: [emergency] RE: OGC UoM Best Practices guidance

At the risk of catching a ration of flame from
most all sides involved with this discussion, I
tend to favor two ways of dealing with units of
measure:

1. Specify that uom be specified either in the
specification or that each implementation must
specify what uom it uses, mandatory--and in web
services, you just don't partner with companies
whose uom in their wsdl does not match up with
yours;
2. Specify metric system, period.

Both are aimed at letting the marketplace enforce
the standard, but Darwinism has a bad name in
these parts, since it inevitablly means letting
chips fall where they may, and in these parts
chips are people so both of these are
non-starters.

In the choice arena between the concerns of
programming realities on the ground versus
getting critical information correct in critical
moments, I tend to fall on the side of insisting
on putting the burden on the quality assurance
cycles in software development and test the bleep
out of every last thing and just keep testing
till it works 95% of the time. (Reality says 80%
flies, but in this case, I have to remind folks
that in these parts chips are people.)

Ciao,
Rex