Subject: RE: April 25 2006 GIS SC Meeting notes

In attendance: Carl, Gary H, Rex B, Adam, Tom M, Dave E.

The majority of the discussion focused on my earlier request for the SC members to review the GeoRSS specification (www.georss.org) with an eye on whether components of that specification would be useful WRT enhancing both CAP and EDXL with stronger and more flexible capabilities for handling geospatial content. The other topic of discussion was Elliot Christians' request regarding using Google Earth to display CAP alerts.

The key discussion points were:

1. There was general agreement that the examples in georss are simple enough that a programmer could easily learn and understand how to implement the geometry elements described in georss.
2. There was agreement that the examples and use cases suggest that the geometry elements of GeoRSS are very implementable.
3. There was agreement that perhaps the best place might be the Resource Element (Location) to include these geometry types as defined in GeoRSS.
4. There was agreement that if we can get consensus on this, then we would have a possible common approach for both CAP and EDXL.
5. We had some discussion on the sensitivities related to the work of Justice and that we want to make sure that we recognize their investment while at the same time providing mechanisms for making their jobs easier.
6. There was discussion regarding the security aspects of the above outlined approach.
7. An action is to develop examples for the Resource Element, such as wildland fires.
8. Discussion on Google Earth displaying CAP alerts focused on concerns regarding possible inconsistencies with the current CAP standard. No solution.

Respectfully submitted

Carl Reed, PhD
CTO and Executive Director Specification Program
OGC

The OGC: Helping the World to Communicate Geographically

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender  immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning." -- Albert Einstein
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." -- Helen Keller