Subject: Re: [emergency] NOAA Undermining International Standards?

Thanks for the heads up, Art,

Can you provide the specific parts of CAP that are not being
implemented? If we are to successfully influence this situation in a
way that can ameliorate or alleviate the problem, we need to know
this.

My general approach in circumstances like this is to find those with
the most practical clout who are willing to listen to sanity, and
give them the kind of ammunition they need to apply the right
leverage.

That would be a clear example of how the real world consequences of
some policy such as this will have obvious harmful affects which can
be clearly linked back to the decision makers in question. If it
looks like they could be on the receiving end of the responsibility
for a calamity, the chances are they will buck whatever corporate or
political pressures being brought to bear on them.

However, it is also useful to craft a few arrows for use on those
corporate or political pressure groups just to give our champions
more ammunition.

At the same time, it is necessary to be able to get press focused on
the probable calamity-result in such a way that the pressure groups
understand that they will also be held responsible.

In a sense, the aftermath of Katrina with the start of this year's
hurricane season, the lingering aftereffect of the Tsunamis,
especially with the recent Indonesian Earthquake puncutated by the
volcanic rumblings or Mount Merabi and the impending Avian Flu
Pandemic, which is showing the first signs of manifesting human to
human transmissibility are all our friends, sad to say. But we have
to make use of the public awareness of these disasters, both in spite
of and because of disaster fatigue since we are all quite ready to
lynch whoever rubs our collective nose in further negligence in the
face of such non-stop disasters.

Ugh!
Rex