Subject: Re: [emergency] NOAA Undermining International Standards?

On Jun 1, 2006, at 6/1/06 6:13 PM, Renato Iannella wrote:
> Art - not that I am defending NOAA - but the <instruction> element
> is optional in CAP 1.1
> so they still are creating valid XML CAP messages? (from a pure
> technical point-of-view).

They aren't creating the messages... at least, that's not their
purpose.  The ostensible purpose of HazCollect is to gather alerts
from non-weather agencies and then push them out through NOAA's
various weather radio transmitters, weather wire and other
dissemination methods.  Which means they're a consumer of CAP
messages, and potentially a relay to other delivery systems, but not
a producer.

So the question is whether it's appropriate for a consumer of CAP
messages to arbitrarily decide to ignore certain legal CAP elements
that it could technically use.  (And then to use that restriction as
an excuse for forcing users to adopt a particular tool for CAP
generation.)

> If, however, you are saying that the <instruction> element plays a
> significant role in CAP,
> then perhaps it should have been mandatory? (and with a fixed vocab)

Hindsight being 20-20, you may be right about the first bit.  As for
the other bit, trying to devise a fixed vocabulary that can deal with
the full range of emergencies, foreseen and unforeseen, strikes me as
an ambitious project... but you're welcome to take a stab at it... ;-)

- Art