Subject: RE: [emergency] Re: [CAP] NOAA Undermining International Standards?

For what it's worth... I agree.

Patti

Patti Iles Aymond, PhD
Senior Scientist, Research & Development
Innovative Emergency Management, Inc.
Managing Risk in a Complex World

8555 United Plaza Blvd.   Suite 100
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
(225) 952-8228 (phone)
(225) 952-8122 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Tincher [mailto:ltincher@evotecinc.com]
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 5:23 PM
To: 'Elysa Jones'; 'Rex Brooks'; 'Art Botterell'; 'Herbert White'
Cc: 'Emergency Mgt XML TC'; cap-list@lists.incident.com
Subject: RE: [emergency] Re: [CAP] NOAA Undermining International
Standards?

The use of CAP for multiple (too numerous to name) implementations is
fantastic.  We should, as a group, be proud of its success.  The dangers
of
the NWS implementation (should it not change - which is not indicated by
their response) is a concern we should note and state - and then stop
there.

This is beyond the scope of what a standards body should be doing.  The
standard is defined and someone has found a loophole for use that we do
not
agree with.  We need to voice our concern and fix this in the next
release -
and then move on.  Any further action may have the danger of the
perception
that there is a sense of personal ownership - that would undermine
everything a standards body should stand for.  We can't all be hero's -
we
are a well balanced group whose strength lies in our divergence,
combined
individual talents and professionalism these standards are vetted and
published from a group.  To take any stand beyond a simple statement of
fact
- with a matter of fact statement that we will be addressing this in a
future release - will detract from the EM TC as a whole.

I'll try not to break my ankle climbing down off of my soap box now :-)

Thanks,
Lee