Subject: Re: [emergency] Draft TC Letter on HazCollect

My one concern is the use of the phrase, "non-compliant implementation".
What is a compliant implementation? In the standards world, compliance
suggests a rigorous testing framework in which assertions (rules) as
specified in the standard are specifically tested against a given
implementation. The OGC has almost 4 years experience in building and
providing compliance testing for a number of our core standards. This
framework determines that a product implementation of a particular
Specification fulfills all mandatory elements as specified and that these
elements are operable. There is significant value to an organization or
vendor in having their implementation of a given standard pass a compliance
test.

I am not trying to be overly sticky on the semantics, but if I were on the
NOAA side, I would ask the question "and what exactly do you mean by
compliance?"

Also, just to stir the pot a bit, even compliance does not insure
interoperability. Interoperability testing is a whole other topic.

OGC is not the only organization that provide compliance testing. So does
ISO, IEEE, the ITU, and many other standards organizations.

Regards

Carl