Subject: RE: [emergency] Emergency Member Section

Elysa,
Do you have any documentation of the EIC charter, mission, process, and
proposed interaction with OASIS?

Regards,

Tom Merkle

CapWIN:        www.capwin.org
Phone:        (301) 614-3720
Cell Phone:   (240) 375-1966
Fax:          (301) 614-0581
e-mail:        tmerkle@capwin.org

CapWIN
6305 Ivy Lane Suite 300
Capital Office Park
Greenbelt, MD 20770

-----Original Message-----
From: Elysa Jones [mailto:ejones@warningsystems.com]
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 9:33 AM
To: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Scott Mcgrath
Subject: [emergency] Emergency Member Section

TC Members,

As we discussed on our last call, there is interest from the Emergency
Interoperability Consortium to sponsor an OASIS emergency member
section.  I have been on vacation for the past week :-) and have been
out of touch.  However, we need to discuss and possibly vote on this
during our meeting tomorrow.

The purpose of the member section would be to facilitate the standards
development process.  This is the same goal as the EIC has always had,
to include liaison between agencies developing requirements for
standards, demonstrating drafts, etc.  In the past ComCARE has provided
meeting space and staff for the EIC and that was supported financially
by the DM program until several months ago.  ComCARE continued to
perform this function without any financial support for quite some time
but is no longer willing to do so.  The EIC dues are very low
($500/company) and therefore unable to pay a staff to manage the
operations.

By having the EIC sponsor a member section, the OASIS staff can help
support the operations utilizing participating member dues.  Each OASIS
member can opt to designate up to 40% of their dues to fund a member
section.  Also, by establishing the member section, other agencies and
sponsors can support different aspects of the process.  For example,
money to fund demonstrations of standards in early development and even
in the requirements phase can be allocated to the member section.  This
is a function that the EIC performs.  If there comes a time when a
certification process for our standards is warratnted, this would be a
good place for that work to be done.  By doing it through a member
section, there will be close coordination with the TC.  It is proposed
that the EIC BoD become the steering committee for the member section
and include the TC chair as well.  If this model is adopted it is very
likely that the DM program will provide the meeting space for the EIC
and possibly a toll free line for TC work.

I am inviting Scott McGrath to our telecon tomorrow 8/22 12:00 EDT.  He
has been briefing the EIC and will be able to share his insights and
answer more of your questions.  Please send any specific questions you
have to him directly before the meeting or to the list as you prefer.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this step in the work we do.

Regards,
Elysa Jones, Chair
OASIS EM-TC
Engineering Program Manager