Subject: CAP 1.1 Standard and ITU-T Recommendation

Dear TC Members,

As we were busy with our face to face meeting last week the ITU folks
were busy working on integrating our CAP 1.1 Standard into their
format and process.  They produced two recommendations that are
attached for your review.

The first is to be an exact representation of our existing CAP 1.1
Standard in the ITU Recommendation format.  They were required by
their guidelines and process to make changes to some of the normative
references we used.  Other than that it is supposed to be a
match.  The second attachment is a recommendation for the addition of
ASN.1 encoding.

The ITU team has requested that we respond by May 1 on these
recommendations.  I have been working with OASIS Staff to consider
how to move forward as expeditiously as possible.  Different members
of the staff are working to ensure we follow the proper IPR, process,
etc.  For example, ASN.1 needs to be "contributed" to OASIS for this purpose.

If we agree as a TC that this is indeed a complete and correct
description of our Standard and we agree to accept the ASN.1 encoding
that it is technically equivalent to our Standard, and therefore
non-substantive, we could process this document through the OASIS
process as an errata.  This appears to be the most efficient way to
proceed given the OASIS process.

The changes to the normative references need to be studied in some
detail.  It has also been noted that in ITU recommendation that in
the DOM, Response Type is not specified correctly.  It is, however,
correct in their Data Dictionary.  They did not have the benefit of
the correction to "assess".  As you recall, we listed "assess" in our
data dictionary but it was not listed in the schema and we have
already prepared errata document for that (thanks to Patti and
Rex).  This errata has been voted on by the TC but not yet submitted
for 15-day public comment.

Since there is already one noted discrepancy in the ITU
recommendation (between their DOM and data dictionary), I am hopeful
that they will make this minor correction as well as the one for
"assess" and we can move forward without them having to go through
another recommendation cycle.  I think we are all in agreement that
it would be best if these Standards can track directly and do not splinter.

With there only being less than a week for us to meet their requested
response time, I am hopeful that all of you will take a good hard
look at these changes and post any questions/comments to the
list.  If we break this task up into pieces, it may help.  The more
eyes the better.

Tasks:
1.  Read/compare documents word for word and list any discrepancies
2.  Study the normative references to be sure they are correct
3.  Validate the ASN.1 notation is a correct representation and
technically equivalent to the XML schema

Jamie Clark and I are doing #1, others please join in.  Could a
couple of you agree to comb through the references and compare?  Is
there one or more of our members who are (or have access to someone
that is)  ASN.1 knowledgeable that can verify the ASN schema, please
identify yourself and work this part.

Please respond to this note with your willingness to take on a task,
then we can start a discussion list on each task.  Also with your
response, let me know 2 or 3 times when you would be available for a
telecon to discuss over the next few days.  I suggest we schedule one
for either Thurs or Fri evening when Renato and Karen might be
available and possibly one for Sunday or Monday evening.  We have a
normally scheduled TC meeting on Tues, May 1 where we can do any
final voting that may be necessary.  Other suggestions welcomed.

In the interest of public safety worldwide, let's take this time to
get this work complete!  However, let's make sure it is
correct.  Thanks to all of you and your hard work and contributions.

Warm regards,
Elysa Jones, Chair
OASIS EM-TC
Program Manager