Subject: RE: [emergency] HAVE comments - explicitly identifying the normative parts in the data dictionary

That is a very long story that needs to be told via conference….but the short side is that they were put in as a “beta test” a year ago and they do not belong.   We have been asking to have them removed…..those elements/attributes were not harmonized against the NIEM core  (or even against themselves) so they are worse than useless in the terms of NIEM re-use…..

Thanks,

Lee

'We the unwilling, led by the unknowing have been doing the difficult with little for so long that we are now ready to tackle the impossible with nothing.' -- Local Fire communications reserve volunteer motto

From: Renato Iannella [mailto:renato@nicta.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 11:19 PM
To: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org

On 28 Sep 2007, at 11:59, Lee Tincher wrote:

NIEM is based on the Dublin-Core metadata descriptions (which specify normative definitions) and it has a well defined set of Naming and Design Rules (NDR). Why do we need to continually re-invent the wheel?

NIEM 2.0 is a bit confusing!

I looked at the XSD for Emergency Management [1] Domain Schema and can see a lot of the HAVE and RM

elements/attributes already in there.

How did they get in there "so quick" when we have not finished?