Subject: RE: [emergency] RE: Sample email to interested parties WRTgeo enhancements to CAP

Something like Ron suggests might make sense, although I'm not sure whether it would be most useful to model these various geospatial components as roles of a common feature or as distinct features.

Since we're talking about syntactically and functionally different things, that might well be processed by vary different logics, might it work best to treat them as separate features, if only to maximize back-compatibility?

We could, for example, reinforce that the existing <Alert> structure describes the area impacted over the timeframe of the enclosing <Info> block, but add an optional <DistributionArea> structure for location-based routing, and maybe an optional <HazardLocation> structure for describing the place and any movement of the source of the trouble (e.g., the location of the steampipe explosion as distinct from the area closed to the public or the area to which the message needs to be distributed.)

- Art

Art Botterell, Manager
Community Warning System
Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff
50 Glacier Drive
Martinez, California 94553
(925) 313-9603
fax (925) 646-1120

>>> "Ron Lake" <rlake@galdosinc.com> 11/21/2007 12:35 PM >>>
Hi,

I will inject my two cents from the GML perspective.  In GML we rejected
the use of geometry elements as characteristics of features.  Thus we do
NOT write in GML, things like:

	<Road>
		<gml:LineString>...</gml:LineString>
	</Road>

NOR

	<Earthquake>
		<gml:Polygon>...</gml:Polygon>
	</Earthquake>

In order to associate a geometric figure with a feature you must have a
property that expresses the role of that geometry in the feature - hence
the above would be written:

	<Road>
		<centerline>
			<gml:LineString> ... </gml:LineString>
		</centerline>
	</Road>

AND

	<Earthquake>
		<impactArea>
			<gml:Polygon>...</gml:Polygon>
		</impactArea>
	</Earthquake>

Those implementing GML application schemas can then use any names they
want to characterize the geometry's role and correctly express
semantics.

This approach to properties is used throughout GML and applies also to
the use of temporal objects.

It would be worth considering in CAP.

Sincerely,

Ron