Subject: RE: [emergency] RE: Sample email to interestedpartiesWRTgeoenhancements to CAP

Something like this is true in MOST of the world, the US included.

From: creed@opengeospatial.org [mailto:creed@opengeospatial.org]
Sent: November 27, 2007 7:37 AM
To: Ron Lake
Cc: Art Botterell; emergency@lists.oasis-open.org; sandro@oss.com
Subject: RE: [emergency] RE: Sample email to
interestedpartiesWRTgeoenhancements to CAP

As I said in an earlier email, support of the new Chinese datum in
gospatial data formats, encodings, or software is a mandate in China.
This
is a perfect example of what Ron is referring to as a local requirement.
The rationale for the Chinese requirement is that th new datum is much
more accurate than WGS 84 for the majority of China.

Carl

> Art:
>
> Then one says that for such devices there is only one CRS and this is
> specified by a particular CRS registry entry.  In either case the
> specification of the CRS MUST be unambiguous,  Just agreeing on say
> (lat,lon) will not be enough if the different users select for example
> different datums as this will lead to the same (lat,lon) corresponding
> to different places on the earth.
>
> Since at the present time, there are not a great number of truly
global
> alerts - it could make sense to have the single CRS used in one part
of
> the world differ from that in another part of the world - I think the
> key issue is to eliminate ambiguity in the meaning of coordinates.
>
> Ron

EPSG