Subject: Liaison statements from ITU-T: use of CAP in Rec. H.323

This is the first of several postings on communications received about
relevant activities in and requests from our partner in standards
cooperation, ITU-T. the global de jure telecommunications
standardization agency.  As you know, ITU-T approved the global
standardization of our OASIS CAP as their ITU-T Rec. X-1303, through
their Study Group 17.

A short advisory communication on revisions to their H.323 standard is
attached.  They are advising us that their Study Group 16 has issued a
draft recommendation on how to use CAp within their H.323 framework.
H.323 describes terminals and other entities that provide multimedia
communications services over Packet-Based Networks which may not
provide a guaranteed Quality of Service.

The report came with a draft of the revised H.323.  That document is
available to any TC member who requests it, from me or TC chair Elysa
Jones, but is not being posted here, as it is subject to ITU-T
circulation rules.  (The document is captioned as follows:
"Attention: This is not a publication made available to the public,
but an internal ITU-T Document intended only for use by the Member
States of ITU, by ITU-T Sector Members and Associates, and their
respective staff and collaborators in their ITU related work. It shall
not be made available to, and used by, any other persons or entities
without the prior written consent of ITU-T.")

OASIS members and particularly TC members are welcome to review and
comment on the ITU-T draft.  It's possible for entities to comment on
their own, ou course, and so far as I know under OASIS rules, the TC
also could choose formally to adopt views if they wish.

As a derivation of an OASIS work which does not claim to be the work
itself -- rather like many other groups who profile or extend our
standards -- I would not immediately expect the H.323 amendments that
implement CAP to have IPR-permissions consequences for the TC's own
projects.  Of course, if the TC wants to comment on how the ITU group
is using, conforming to or extending CAP, that's fine, and should not
normally be a IPR issue itself so long as the comments are made
public.

The project and document's contact person is Stephen Botzko of Polycom.

~ James Bryce Clark
~ General Counsel, OASIS
~ http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark

itu-oasiscap--ls093-16.pdf