Subject: Re: [Fwd: [emergency] Questions on ASN.1 and IPAWS Profile / CAP1.2]

Thanks Tony,

I misstated myself.  I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought
ASN.1 was mainly aimed at European communities, but that the ASN.1
representation of CAP 1.1 was. That  was why I said that this was the
"first time I heard ASN.1 encoded CAP messages in
relation to any US-specific implementation..."

That was my perception of it, but I was not involved with that effort
except that it occurred at the same time as the CAP 1.1 errata, which I
did work on, was working its way through the OASIS process.

I don't think the current situation is related to The CAP-IPAWS profile
except insofar as it prompted the effort to update CAP to 1.2 with the
new <avoid> response type. I have added Elysa Jones and Jacob Westfall
to this message, and I would like to draw everyone's attention to Tim
Gimore's message to the EM TC email list this morning
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency/email/archives/200912/msg00023.html
because this is the message to which I was responding.

At this point it is probably best if I don't dig myself in any deeper. I
invite Elysa and/or Jacob to weigh in if they wish. As the principle
author of CAP v1.2, Jacob is most knowledgeable. We have followed the
OASIS TC Process scrupulously and provided ample opportunity for issues
such as those which have been brought up recently  to be addressed.
However, the ASN.1 backward compatibility issue surfaced after the
initial 60-Day Public Review, so were out of scope for the second 15-Day
Review which recently ended, and after which we have continued to move
CAP v1.2 forward.

Best Regards,
Rex