Subject: RE: [emergency] Tactical Situation Object

Rex,

Courtesy of my MARC train ride this morning - here is my analysis on their schema - attached ZIP.

I've provided a couple of HTML reports in the ZIP that help understand their data model.  Plus I provided comments on specific elements - see text below - and their data model - which overall - IMHO is somewhat "Fisher Price" XML.  I provide an Excel spreadsheet of their dictionary.

Also - I used the renamer tool to fix their short uppercase names into new camel case names that are fully NIEM term reference compliant - and build a dictionary of those new terms.

My suggestion would be to re-use their dictionary components - but construct a new OASIS style EDXL aligned message structure, message metadata, and with a better information model.

Of course I have to admit a vested interest in this - you can potentially use the new CAM v1.8 blueprint system to perform this surgery - create a blueprint outline of the information structure - then insert the components in the appropriate places from the dictionary.

Then I rewrote their existing schema using XSD export - and this actually wrote their XSD back out better than their original (IMHO!) - a scary "first" for CAM - I've not seen it write schema better than humans before!

Overall I see that XML maturity wise the OASIS team here just is way better than CEN!?!?  But we would say that wouldn't we?

Thanks, DW

====================
Things that raise eyebrows

Abbreviation of names - several arbitrary - not really saving byte count - e.g. Risk_Assessmnt - and DATIME - DateTime
Handling of address - unformatted 256 byte string - heavily overloaded - sometimes its milestone marker, sometimes address.
Name conflict / EVAC and EVACUATED
RGEO, EGEO - would be better to have parent Event, Resource - then child elements
ENV - bad abbreviation - better ENVIR
LOCTYPE - 0-80 - This is really Location Type and they have the code values in data dictionary. Probably a function of address.
URGENCY - seems slightly odd - better as URGENT boolean, or have values 0 through 5.
SECLASS - really Security Classification - some may have issues with their code system
ACTOR - this concept appears weird - suspect much better data model possible
OBS_DATIME -  really not clear what OBS is!
TRIAGE codes - again think approach as in EDXL-HAVE is much better data model
POSITION - seems like the data model here is clumsy

Can produce a better organized heirarchical model - e.g.

They have

TSO_V20
 - Context
 - Event
 - Resource
 - Mission

alternative

OASIS_TSO
 - MessageMetadata
 - Event
 -- Location
 - Resources
 -- Organization
 -- Services
 -- Weather
 - Mission
 -- Resolutions

This will also fix a lot of the naming issues and make a more consistent data model and allow
reuse of common patterns from EDXL, NIEM, LEXS