Subject: Re: [emergency-ms] Re: [emergency] Re: [emergency-ms] updating X.1303- Common Alerting Protocol

Tony:

Thanks for raising the concern about CAP versions.  We will share this
response formally with SG17, through the Liaison Statement process, as
well.

It always has been OASIS' intent to keep its partners like ITU up to
date with future revisions of submitted standards.  OASIS rules impose
a couple of requirements on external submissions, for quality reasons:
 one is final approval as an OASIS Standard, and another is a
successful official interop demo involving at least 3 parties,
indicating some minimal level of stability and tool support.  (Our
policy is here:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/liaison_policy.php#submitwork)

ITU's X-1303 release previously has been been sync'd with OASIS's CAP
v1.1.  The OASIS TC that hosts CAP previously had not determined that
v1.2 was a sufficiently material release to submit or test-demo it.
We've asked them to confirm that, or re-examine it, and consider their
completion of & satisfaction with the required interop demos, in light
of your recent request.  That discussion will occur at their next
meeting; so at a minimum, we should have some confirmation of their
intent by the time of the rapidly approaching SG17 face-to-face.   We
will have more to report on this shortly.

The TC also has reaffirmed its intent to complete major revision v2.0
and transmit it to ITU, which is work we expect to see completed over
the next year, approximately.

It's natural for innovators to extend and improve standards, and for
that virtuous cycle to bring enhancements back into the officials
specifications, but on a loosely-coupled time schedule which rarely is
immediate.  Good will to continue to improve and use CAP seems clear
on all sides, for which we're very grateful.

Kind regards JBC

~ James Bryce Clark
~ General Counsel, OASIS
~ http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark  @JamieXML