Subject: RE: [emergency] Symbol for CAP

These look very good.

I agree with your statement about the map icons. There are numerous map
symbol tables already all indicating event or incident type.

I like your first symbol. It's very clean and would scale well. The second
has the "!" element that is used in some map symbols already.

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthias Lendholt [mailto:matthias.lendholt@gfz-potsdam.de]
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 2:26 AM
To: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org

Am 09.06.2011 17:56, schrieb Elysa Jones:
> Friends,
>
> As I presented after the CAP workshop and again mentioned in the EM-TC
> meeting this week, there is a need of a symbol for CAP to be used on
> maps as well as for web service CAP feeds. Just this past week Simon
> Elliot of EUMETSAT asked if we had made any progress on this action.
> Does anyone of our TC members with to make a contribution of symbols
> as requested for CAP? If so or if you have any input on this topic,
> please respond.

Elysa,

I think we must differentiate between usage in maps and usage in feeds.
In most map based applications the symbol in the map will indicate the event
(e.g. tsunami, bush fire, etc.) and not the type of underlying communication
protocol.

However, for CAP RSS feeds a unified symbol is a very good idea. The RSS
icon is well-known, therefore I propse to create a CAP feed icon which is
similar an which re-uses elements of the RSS icon.

Please find attached two drafts just to give an impression.

Whichever icon will be selected, it must be scalable to 32x32 pixel without
getting illegible.

Regards,
Matthias

--
[matthias.lendholt@gfz-potsdam.de]
GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences CeGIT Centre for GeoInformation