Subject: Re: [emergency] EDXL adoption update

I agree. We have a defined space. We are not THE solution. Or one of  2 competing solutions. We at IPAWS are in a particular mission space of alerting and vanilla poll based message exchange.  Other missions need other tools (and we hope they will consider linking to us for their public alerting).

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 14, 2011, at 2:51 PM, "McGarry, Donald P." <dmcgarry@mitre.org> wrote:

One thing I would encourage to consider for those engagements:
"The world is bigger than ipaws and uicds". What I'm saying is that we really just want to focus on getting well-formed, standards-compliant EDXL messages in and out of both of those systems, not just building a "one off" for those two systems to talk. This focus on standards allows new systems to come in at "run time" and share data assuming they also use edxl. I'm sure most of the vendors in the TC would agree that they want to be able to "play" as well...

Don McGarry
The MITRE Corp.
dmcgarry@mitre.org
(703) 595-9375
Sent via Blackberry

From: Lucero, Mark [mailto:Mark.Lucero@dhs.gov]
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 01:02 PM
To: 'tgrapes@evotecinc.com' <tgrapes@evotecinc.com>; 'emergency@lists.oasis-open.org' <emergency@lists.oasis-open.org>

It's important to note that although these programs have not coordinated well (enough) in the past, the programs recognize this and are taking steps to improve coordination and communication...especially in our respective messages to stakeholders. Planned activities include a technical deep dive with both programs to identify and address incompatibility issues, building adapters to make the systems talk to eachother, discussing methods to handle business rules.

v/r
Mark A. Lucero
Chief, IPAWS Engineering
FEMA National Continuity Programs