Subject: Re: [emergency] Question about use of CAP to generate emergency alerts via twitter [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

The original concept was to use headline for SMS. Twitter would be similar. In fact, I wrote a titter app myself that can tweet headline.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 4, 2012, at 9:53 PM, "Trott, Gregory" <Gregory.Trott@ag.gov.au> wrote:

UNCLASSIFIED

EM-TC Members,

I am contacting you all in the hope that I can locate an organisation among the TC membership who has used Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) messages with Twitter and is willing to share their approach and experiences with CAP Users in Australia.

The reason I ask is because an Australian CAP User is seeking to generate all-hazard alerts to the public via twitter, using the CAP message standard to create the alert message.  The Australian CAP User is interested in looking at any examples where the hashtag and twitter message content are incorporated into a CAP message.  Our initial thoughts are that either the OPTIONAL <headline> or <description> sub-elements could be used to incorporate the text that would be used in a character limited twitter message that gets distributed via twitter feeds, and the following hashtags might appear in the message: authority releasing the alert; and the “official” tag for the particular emergency event.

I attempted to use the Kavi search engine to search for “twitter” and “hashtag” keywords but found nothing related to my question, so I am hoping this email approach puts me in contact with a knowledgeable person within the EM-TC membership who might be able to assist with this inquiry.  Please let me know if there is an alternate method that OASIS would prefer me to use in the future to pose questions like this one.

Regards,

Greg Trott

Custodian for the Australian Government standard for the Common Alerting Protocol – Australia Profile (CAP-AU-STD)

Australian Government Attorney-General's Department

Download the CAP-AU-STD from www.em.gov.au/CapAuStd

If you have received this transmission in error please
notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete all
copies. If this e-mail or any attachments have been sent
to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver
of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect
of information in the e-mail or attachments.