Subject: Re: CAP Best Practices

I looked at the Canadian CAP feeds best practices doc that Doug had been working on (which ge attached to an earlier email in this thread). The following best practices from that doc may have application to and find a place in our Example Practices: CAP Feeds doc:

I suggest that we discuss these points at our next EMA Collaboration and Documentation SC meeting:

Feed(s) Content

1. CAP feeds open to public consumption should be limited to CAP <scope> “Public” and
CAP <status> “Actual”.

2. Produce “current” (not expired) message feed(s) in addition to the traditional “log”
(chronological order) or all messages approach.

3. Produce language specific feeds.

Feed Entries per CAP-CP Message

1. When a message has multiple <info> blocks in the same language, which can be used
to provide differing alert content (ex. Same storm, with areas having different severity),
each <info> block should align with separate feed entries).

2. When a message has multiple event references, one feed entry per event reference
should be created.

Feed Title

The feed title should minimally identify the name of the source. Language and CAP scope are
also recommended.

a. Example: NB MASAS Alert Feed: English Public

Feed Item Presentation

1. Item Title

a. Title can be constructed from the CAP <event> and <msgType> elements

i. Examples:
1. Industrial Fire, Update
2. Bridge Closure, Alert

2. Item Content

a. Item content should minimally include the following:

i. “Description: “CAP <description>.
1. If truncated, an indicator should be included. Ex. “…” or “(more).”
ii. “Expires: “CAP <expires>
iv. “Location relates to” either “alert area” or “event location”.

b. When the CAP message includes a <web> value, the feed item should include a
link to it.

i. A statement such as, “For more information, click here”, with click here
hyperlinked to the URI value of CAP <web>, is suggested.

c. Example:

“Expires: September 5 2009 10 PM CT
“Originated from CAP Alert: AEMA, 2009-09-01T16:49:00-06:00, B7G456
“Location relates to event location.