Subject: Re: [emergency] ISO-TC223 Report 22351

Hi Again Elysa,

Now that I have the document in pdf form (required a bit of updating my various copies of Adobe Reader once I finally got it downloaded correctly), it is virtually the same as the TSO I have commented on previously.

Briefly: the codelist - part 2 of TSO is retained, so we can use that set as ValueLists for working with countries that adopt the use of the ISO Standard. The message structure as previously contained in TSO is retained. In my opinion that was an unfortunate attempt to create a one-size-fits-all emergency message. However, it is usable to share information in a fairly immediate way without much care for later uses of that information.

The problem with that is that tracking things like resources, casualties, displaced people will be more of a challenge without the kind of specification-per-function found in EDXL. Simply attaching messageIDs and messageRefs won't help with the inevitable audit trail needed to assess effectiveness and recover costs once the incident has been responded to and mitigated to the point that resources are returning to their original owners. Needless to say, after action reports will likely rely on anecdotes without the Statistics being automatically collected to back up the Analytics.

Of course, brilliant application writers can do all that, eventually. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it can be done the way our specs allow, and almost require. Building flexible, semantically coordinated databases is likely to be difficult compared to the way EDXL works. However, all that will require quite a bit of work regardless of which specs are written to. I haven't had time to check on how the codelists match up to previous versions, but using them within EDXL should not be a difficult problem.

I probably won't have time to fill out a comment form today, but may be able to do that tomorrow.

Best Regards,
Rex