Subject: Extension Status

Elysa,

Here is where I think we are at with the Extension discussion.

We have a potential schema and set of use cases that need to be discussed.  I have attached the latest schema for reference.  Here are the current use cases that have been identified so far:

1.       Standard augmentation –community adds additional data to the standard

2.       List augmentation – community adds to a default list of values

3.       List replacement – community replaces a default list of values

4.       List redefinition – community redefines a default list of values

5.       Translation – community translates fields to new format/standard (think TEP -> HL7)

What are the next steps?

1.       Determine if these are the right use cases and/or if there are any missing use cases

2.       Determine if the proposed schema satisfies the identified set of use cases

3.       Determine if the proposed schema satisfies any profiles currently in use

4.       Develop guidance for extension use in the various sub-committees

5.       Develop guidance for extension use by the developer/adopter

If anyone thinks I have missed anything, please let us know.

Brian M Wilkins

Lead Software Systems Engineer

The MITRE Corporation

bwilkins@mitre.org