Subject: Re: [emergency] Proper abbreviation for the Emergency Management TC: your verdict?

Perfect. Thanks!

- Robin

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Elysa Jones <elysajones@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Robin,

We will have a meeting on Tues where I will ask the members their preference.  I am in a habit of using the hyphen but do not know of a decision we have made either way.  I understand the need for consistency and will get back to you on the will of the group.

Cheers,

Elysa

From: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:emergency@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Robin Cover
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:46 AM
To: OASIS Emergency Management TC List
Cc: Robin Cover

of the OASIS Emergency Management TC attest both "EM-TC" and "EM TC"

as the TC abbreviation.  It would be useful if the TC could agree on a

canonical abbreviation and then try to use it consistently.   Please let me

 know.  Thanks!

======== Details:

The latest recorded minutes for the TC's Charter proposal attest the

spelling "EM-TC", and that spelling (with HYPHEN) seems to be the

most common, based upon a hasty scan I made of the resources [1]

The current TC Public Home Page has five occurrences for "EM-TC"

and one for "EM TC".

The TC Members' postings to the TC Discussion List also attest

"EM-TC", with 12x occurrences of "EM-TC" in "Subject:" lines during

the past four months (no occurrences of "EM TC")

The specifications I scanned (five) attested "EM-TC" but not

"EM TC".

Thanks for your consideration on this point, as I think consistency

will improve the image/branding of the Technical Committee and its

published work.

- Robin Cover

[1] hasty scan of resources

PS  In today's climate, we try to insist that TC Charter proposals include

an official abbreviation/acronym so that everyone within OASIS and

external parties have a reference point.  Ideally, when the abbreviation

is embedded within the full TC name, that clarifies to all what the

official abbreviation is.

[2003]

Charter original: "EM TC"

Charter proposal as modified: "EM-TC"

[2013]

TC Public Home Page:

- "EM-TC" (5x occurrences)

- "EM TC" (1x occurrence)

[2013]

TC List (Elysa Jones, Greg Trott, etc)

- "EM-TC" (12x occurrences)

 in examples from four recent months message Subject lines:

 3x + 2x + 4x + 3x

[Specs]

*  Emergency Data Exchange Language (EDXL) Tracking of Emergency Patients (TEP) Version 1.0

   Committee Specification Draft 01 /

   Public Review Draft 01

says: "EM-TC"

* Emergency Data Exchange Language Situation Reporting (EDXL-SitRep) Version 1.0

  Committee Specification 01

says: "EM-TC"

* Emergency Data Exchange Language (EDXL) Distribution Element Version 2.0

  Committee Specification Draft 03 /

  Public Review Draft 03

(nil)

* Emergency Data Exchange Language (EDXL) Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) v1.2 Australia (AU) Profile Version 1.0

  Committee Specification 01

says: "EM-TC"

* Common Alerting Protocol Version 1.2

  OASIS Standard