Subject: RE: [emergency] CAP in Taiwan

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your notice on this.  I hope they will join our Committee for guidance and insight.  I am copying Dee Schur so she will reach out to them.   I also replied to Art’s message and copied OASIS Legal for direction regarding certain uses/mis-uses of the Standard.

However, on the comment you make in your last statement, I do not agree.  CAP is a very capable Standard for everything from Sensor alerts to notifications.  It is being used for messaging applications beyond alerting with tremendous success.

Cheers,

Elysa Jones, Chair OASIS

Emergency Management Technical Committee

Emergency Interoperability Member Section

From: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:emergency@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Carl Reed
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2014 6:05 PM
To: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [emergency] CAP in Taiwan

Dear TC -

Last week I had the opportunity to visit the Taiwan National Science and Technology Center for Disaster Reduction (NCDR). They provided a presentation on 2015 development plans. They are looking to integrate the use of CAP into their alerting infrastructure. They have developed a Taiwan profile for CAP – partly driven by the need to support additional coordinate reference systems (CRS) beyond WGS 84. I suggested that they join the OASIS discussion on the current CAP revision requirements and thoughts. Some in the Government also want to use CAP for messaging applications beyond alerting. I suggested that would probably not be a good idea given the original requirements and use cases for CAP.

Cheers

Carl Reed, PhD
CTO and Executive Director Standards Program
Open Geospatial Consortium
www.opengeospatial.org

The OGC: Making Location Count!

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning." -- Albert Einstein
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." -- Helen Keller